What I Eat in Diabetes: A Diabetologist's Practical Guide
Living with diabetes doesn't mean giving up your favorite foods. The key is choosing the right foods, eating balanced meals, and controlling portions. As a diabetologist, I often tell my patients that diabetes management is not about starvation—it's about smart eating.
My Diabetes-Friendly Breakfast
I start my day with a protein-rich breakfast to prevent blood sugar spikes. Good options include:
Moong dal chilla with mint chutney
Vegetable oats
Boiled eggs with salad
Unsweetened tea or coffee
A healthy breakfast keeps me full and provides steady energy throughout the morning.
Mid-Morning Snack
To avoid hunger and sudden sugar fluctuations, I choose:
A small apple or guava
A handful of almonds or walnuts
The combination of fruit and nuts provides fiber, vitamins, and healthy fats.
Lunch
My lunch plate follows a simple rule:
Half plate vegetables
One-quarter plate protein
One-quarter plate whole grains
Example:
1 bowl dal
1–2 whole wheat rotis
Mixed vegetable sabzi
Fresh salad
This combination helps maintain stable blood sugar levels.
Evening Snack
Instead of biscuits or sweets, I prefer:
Green tea
Roasted chana
A few nuts
These snacks help control cravings without causing a sugar spike.
Dinner
Dinner should be light and nutritious:
Vegetable soup
Paneer bhurji or grilled fish
1 small whole wheat roti
Salad
Eating a lighter dinner may help improve morning blood sugar readings.
Foods I Limit
To manage diabetes effectively, I limit:
Sugary drinks
Sweets and desserts
White bread
Refined flour products
Fried snacks
Ultra-processed foods
Simple Tips for Better Blood Sugar Control
Eat meals on time.
Include protein in every meal.
Fill half your plate with vegetables.
Drink enough water.
Walk for 10–15 minutes after meals.
Monitor blood sugar regularly.
Final Thoughts
Diabetes-friendly eating is not about perfection. It is about making healthy choices consistently. Small changes, repeated every day, can lead to better blood sugar control, improved energy, and a healthier life.
Remember: Food is one of the most powerful tools for managing diabetes.
Comments
Post a Comment